Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Posture Injury Prevention tip

Heather North has posted an injury prevention tip in the July 2013 Revolution Running exPress - Monthly Newsletter.


I can attest to the accuracy of this tip. I have spent my own career hunched over at a desk and have developed lower back pain. I had severe back pain last summer that I was able to correct by popping my left hip/femur joint while lying with my tailbone on a rolled up towel. Heather has predicted this injury and she also says desk bound runners lack the muscular strength to hold the proper posture during running. I tried Heather's posture guidelines on my next run after reading her post. About halfway through the run I realized that like Heather predicted, I was not holding the correct posture for my head and shoulders. I tucked my chin, put my shoulders back and imagined I was being lifted by a pole up the back of my head. My left hip joint immediately popped exactly like when I lie on the rolled up towel. I was totally amazed. Running while slouched over for years is what has been causing my back pain. Now I am trying to strengthen my posture muscles. I have not found any exercises to do this but will continue to keep good posture at all times in order to strengthen the muscles.

No comments: