Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Running Plan for 2013


This is my running plan for 2013. It is driven by two races I want to run, the Bolder Boulder 10K on Memorial Day and the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving. Significant changes from the previous year are I aim for 13.5-19.5 miles a week, run 4 days a week, use my Bowflex resistance machine 3 days a week, use the E Boulder Rec center for treadmill workouts and modified my weekday workouts to have a longer warm up. On Tuesday and Thursday in December and January I warm up with a 1.5 mi run to the turnaround point, then 8 10-20-30 intervals or 1.0 mi threshold run back to the 2.5 mi point followed by a .5 mi cool down. I increase my weekly mileage every month by 10% and peak at 19.5 mi/wk for the month prior to my race. A 10% increase is 1.5 miles distributed equally among the intervals, threshold and long runs. I run an easy 3 mi on every Saturday. My long run is 33% of weekly mileage. The 3 off days from running has allowed my damaged knee to recover to the point I do not notice it at all. It may be a different story in May when I am running my maximum mileage.

No comments: