Monday, August 10, 2009

My hill workout

I live in East Boulder where the terrain is flat but I have found a hill on Westview Dr at E Baseline Rd that is suitable for hill workouts. It is within warm-up distance from my home and is a lot more convenient than driving/biking to NCAR or Linden. The hill is 0.17 mile (900 ft) long and has an altitude gain of 30 ft for a 3.3% grade. The view of the Flatirons across Baseline Reservoir is spectacular and where I am sure the road got it's name.

I typically run 6-7 repeats in about 90 seconds each. I concentrate on using my glutes as Dave Scott coaches. I have seen Dave Scott running around Boulder and IMHO he has the best running form in town. Of course my running form is nowhere near his but using his principle of running uphill using your glutes has made me a better runner. He also advises taking the shock of landing with the glutes when going downhill and I have found this also works. I am much more efficient when I run with my glutes.

Bobolink trailhead at Baseline and Gapter is a convenient place to start a hill work out because it's about a mile warm-up away. Starting at Bobolink head North on Gapter, turn right on Dimmit, cross Cherryvale and run East on Baseline Rd until Westview Dr. Baseline Rd is fairly busy 8-9 am and 3-5 pm so I try to avoid those times. Thursday is trash collection day and I try and avoid it also.

No comments: