Saturday, June 16, 2012

Trying 10-20-30 Training

I felt really good today while warming up for my 2 mile short run so I decided to try 10-20-30 training. The interval of this training is 10 seconds of fast running followed by 20 seconds of moderate pace followed by 30 seconds of very slow pace. A sequence is 5 intervals in a row followed by a 2 minute rest. The originators of this training, a university in the Netherlands, used 3-5 sequences per workout. You can read a summary of The Journal of Physiology article here. Today I just wanted to see what the intervals were like and to my surprise, I really liked them. They were a breeze compared to 400m intervals. I only ran one sequence of 3 followed by a sequence of 5 today and 15-25 intervals may feel a lot different. I will find out how 3 sequences feel next week when I replace my 3 mile Medium runs on Wed and Fri with 10-20-30.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some other tweeter posted that the University is in Denmark. The J Physiology is published in the Netherlands and that led to my mistake. That also explains why I had never heard of the university, I know very little about Denmark's universities.