Thursday, July 5, 2012

July Running Plan

I managed to work my way up to 20 miles per week in June despite a heavy traveling schedule. I wish to increase my speed in July while keeping my weekly mileage at 20 because of the heat and smoke here in Colorado. Monday - no running Tuesday - 2 x 1 Km at 10 min/mi pace, total of 3 mi Wednesday - 16 x 10-20-30 intervals, total of 3 mi Thursday - 2 x 1 Km Friday - 16 x 10-20-30 intervals Saturday - 2 x 1 Km Sunday - 5 mi I call this plan my "Minimum Plan" because it has three minimums. Running 30 minutes is the minimum run to not lose fitness. Nor does it increase fitness so it is a good recovery or Easy run. I do this on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sixteen 10-20-30 intervals are the minimum number the Dutch researchers used in their study. They had subjects running 3-5 sets of 5 10-20-30 intervals with a 2 minute break in between. I run 8 intervals out, break for 2 minutes and then run 8 intervals back because I take my break at turnaround. Jack Daniels says the Long run should be 25-33% of weekly mileage, and 5 mi is 25% of 20. This is my plan to get faster despite the hottest summer in Colorado history. I will let you know how it went in early August.

No comments: