Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I go to the Chiropractor

I felt sharp pain in my lower back when I stood up straight after changing a burned out headlight bulb on my car. After that I continually felt the pain when I stood up after sitting down in a chair. After a few days the pain became constant and I could not run or sleep. After a week of not being able to sleep I took an afternoon nap and slept on my right side because it was most comfortable. When I woke up from the nap and got out of bed I immediately noticed the sharp pain of standing up was gone. My back had somehow righted itself during my nap. The next morning I had soreness in my lower back and down both sciatic nerves for a short time. But I resumed running with no pain. I was totally blown away that a nap could cure the most intense pain I have ever felt and decided to go to a Chiropractor to see if I could get rid of the morning pain. I had never been to a Chiropractor before and no idea of what they did. But if a nap made this huge difference, what could someone who knew what they were doing do? I found the Boulder Back Pain Clinic on Google with a 4 1/2 star rating and made an appointment. I have Kaiser health insurance so it cost a $20 co-pay. My Chiropractor was Marc Cahn at Boulder Back Pain and he immediately noted the motion in my left pelvic joint was more restricted than in my right pelvic joint. He first attached a muscle stimulator to my back and ran that for a couple of minutes to loosen the very sore muscle over the joint. Then he had me lie on my right side, raise my left knee, draw back my left elbow and he "adjusted" the joint by pressing somewhere on my back. I felt a click in the joint but absolutely no pain. Immediately afterwords I felt no different but the next morning the bi-lateral sciatic nerve pain was gone and I only had the sore muscle for a few minutes until it loosened up. The tight muscle went away completely four mornings later. My first experience with a Chiropractor was positive because I experienced rapid pain reduction as a direct result of the spinal adjustment and recommend Dr. Cahn to others experiencing the kind of lower back pain I had.

No comments: