Friday, July 13, 2012

Report on First Week of 10-20-30 Training

I have a 5K race training plan that incorporates 10-20-30 interval training. It is a six week plan and I just finished week 1. The first week wore me out. I found myself plodding through Intervals, Long run and even Easy recovery runs. I was very tired after I finished the Long run and went to bed before it got dark that day. The main reason I was so worn out was I ran two Interval sessions for the first time. I ran them on Wednesday and Friday with Easy runs Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I run 5 mi Long on Sunday. My initial reaction when I realized I had become fatigued was dismay. Now I think I have a very good 5K race training plan and the first week of training should shock a newbie like me. I now do 15 Intervals rather than 16 and take 2 breaks rather than 1 during an Interval day. I also strictly limit fast running to 10 seconds, something I was not doing in week one. I hope these two adjustments minimize the wear and tear on my body.

No comments: