Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Running Tip: What to do with your arms

Today's running tip comes from the Revolution Running's Bolder Boulder training newsletter. Buried in a running form section was a tip that says the backward drive of your arms drives the body forward. I have always thought the forward motion of my arms contributes to my body's forward motion but I decided to try their suggestion during my latest tempo run. They said to hold your arms in a 90 degree position and swing them 1/3 in front and 2/3 to the rear. I started doing this when I began my warm up to the start of my tempo and immediately found I have been running wrong since my college cross country days. The change in my posture, form and balance was dramatic. And I was still in my warm up. The scary thing was if I stopped driving my arms backward during my tempo run I could instantly feel a loss of momentum. The good news is I am not too old to learn. I looked all over on Revolution Running's website for the Bolder Boulder tips so I could post the link for others. I could not find it and it seems these tips were only in the newsletter.

No comments: