Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tempo length for Bolder Boulder 10K training

I am running a tempo or threshold run of 5K in preparation for the upcoming 2013 Bolder Boulder 10K. I will run this once a week in May. I run them at my threshold pace of 8:51 mm except for the tempo run 2 weeks before the BB when I will run at my predicted 10K pace of 8:43. How I came up with these paces is the subject of my last post. This post is my reasons for training with a 5K tempo. Runners who train for fitness or 5K are advised to run a minimum tempo of 20 minutes duration. I run my 2.3 mi course in 22:00. I add one .9 miles lap to get a 3.2 mile or 5K tempo run.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post was supposed to be about my tempo length but I stated that 2 weeks before the BB I was going to run at my predicted 10K pace. I did not do that today, I ran an 8:57 pace. This is not even my Jack Daniel's tempo pace. I was reacting to Melody Fairchild's advice in the Camera. I will stick with Jack Daniel's advice to only run his tempo pace and anything faster will harm my fitness.