Monday, February 26, 2007

Base Run Index

I have looked into my training log from 2005 and found I was running 40-44 mi/wk before the Bolder Boulder 10K that I took 4th place in my age group. I ran a 17.5 mi long run and the next weekend I ran 18. The next week I came down with a bad chest cold. I ultimately ran 6 mi base just before the race. So now I am basing my training plan around the base distance. This week I started 4.5 mi and intend to continue it for 4 weeks or after the Frederick 5K Mar 17. Then I will kick it up to 5 mi for the Earth Day 5K 4 weeks later. I plan on going to 5.5 mi for the next 4 weeks before the Bolder Boulder 10K. 5 mi is a good distance because the long run is 15 mi, a very convenient distance for me and it gives a weekly mileage of 45 mi. Base x 9 = weekly mileage. 45 mi was the training level where researchers in Boston found no heart irregularities in runner's completing the Boston Marathon. I may just stick with 5 mi after Earth Day.

No comments: