Friday, March 2, 2007

Yet another 10K training plan

I read that Malissa J. Wood, M.D. found troponin leakage from a group of marathoners in Boston. It is thought troponin is produced during cardiac ischemia. She concluded marathoners that ran less than 45 mi/wk had nine times the troponin than those that trained above. I don't know how long the marathoners trained at these levels or how she collected. If she asked them when they finished Boston they could have said anything. Marathoners are spaced out then and usually increase their actual training miles. What's all this got to do with 10K training? My next race is a 10K in 12 weeks and I was looking for a base weekly mileage to train for it. Guess what, I'm going to start at 45 mi/wk. This works out to four five mi easy, 6x800 + 2 mi warmup, 3 mi threshold + 2 mi warmup and 15 mi long run. This is perfect for me. My favorite long run is along Boulder Creek to Eben Fine park and back, 15 mi. The 5 mi easy runs are on Bobolink Trail along S Boulder Ck. I will add increments of 2x800 for my intervals and 1 mi to my threshold runs.

No comments: